- Professor of Epidemiology and Vital Statistics (1995-)
- Head of the Cancer Research UK Cancer Survival Group (2005-)
- Department of Non-Communicable Disease Epidemiology
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), London, UK.
Dr Coleman qualified in medicine in Oxford last century, and practised medicine for 6 years, mainly in internal medicine and general practice, before deserting to epidemiology. He has worked in the Cancer Epidemiology Unit in Oxford (1984-87); at the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon (1987-1991), and as Medical Director of the Thames Cancer Registry in London (1991-1995). At the Office for National Statistics, he was Deputy Chief Medical Statistician (1995-2004) and Head of the UK WHO Collaborating Centre on the Classification of Diseases (1995-2000).
His research has focussed on trends and inequalities in cancer incidence, mortality and survival, and their use in public health policy for cancer control. He leads the CONCORD programme for global surveillance of cancer survival, from which survival trends among 25 million cancer patients in 67 countries were published in March 2015.
The Cancer Survival Group produces the official cancer survival statistics for England and the UK, as well as the NHS Outcomes Framework indicators on cancer survival in adults and children.
Prof Coleman has published over 350 peer-reviewed articles and books. His h-index is 63 (Scopus, 2016).
- Coleman MP. Cancer survival: global surveillance will stimulate health policy and improve equity.
Lancet 2014; 383: 564-73.
- Allemani C, Weir HK, Carreira H, Harewood R, Spika D, Wang X-S, Bannon F, Ahn JV, Johnson
CJ, Bonaventure A, Marcos-Gragera R, Stiller C, Azevedo e Silva G, Chen W-Q, Ogunbiyi OJ,
Rachet B, Soeberg MJ, You H, Matsuda T, Bielska-Lasota M, Storm H, Tucker TC, Coleman MP,
CONCORD Working Group. Global surveillance of cancer survival 1995-2009: analysis of individual
data for 25,676,887 patients from 279 population-based registries in 67 countries (CONCORD-2).
Lancet 2015; 385: 977–1010.
- Coleman MP, Allemani C. Cancer: the elephant in the room. Lancet 2015; 385: 1047-8.
- Quaresma M, Coleman MP, Rachet B. 40-year trends in an index of survival for all cancers
combined and survival adjusted for age and sex for each cancer in England and Wales, 1971-2011:
a population-based study. Lancet 2015; 385: 1206-18.